WAYS TO ADVOCATE FOR A PARK OR PLAYGROUND


One of the main goals of this website is to empower individuals to advocate for parks and playgrounds in your area. This can be done in many different ways:

- Call your city parks and recreation department. They are usually your first contact in reporting broken equipment, unsafe conditions and requesting updated parks or equipment. Generally they are the decision makers on where, when and which parks will be updated or built in the future. If you really want them to understand how important these things are to you, I recommend setting up a meeting with them or dropping by their office in person. A little face to face contact can make all the difference.

- Call or email your city council and let them know that parks and playgrounds are important in the community. Feel free to be specific in your email about exactly why you feel so strongly and what you would like to be done in the future.

- Join with others and brainstorm ideas to make your parks better. This may include fundraising or just raising awareness of the benefits of parks. Get out there and do something productive. Organize a park clean up or a family event at one of the parks and meet new people. The possibilities are endless.

Another option is to reach out to me here by email at DavisCountyUtahPlayground@gmail.com to share your questions or concerns regarding a park. I would be happy to advocate for you! Do you have feedback on new parks? We love to hear that too. 

When I first created the first playground blog, Weber County Playgrounds, I noticed lots of issues in my own city parks. I set up a meeting with the the parks director in my city to discuss my concerns. I came prepared with pictures of the issues, possible solutions to the problems (including quotes from a manufacturer for the broken parts) and suggestions on things to make the parks better. Some of the issues were at least 3 years old at the time.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my city was receptive to my suggestions and concerns.  Within the month at least 2 of the safety issues were fixed and the others were addressed and slotted to be fixed when budget or planning allowed. 

While you don't have to go to this extreme, any effort on your part shows that you care. If you are really passionate about inclusion of kids with special needs, let your city know. Do you want toddler swings? Fences? Sometimes no input from community members leads the city to believe that everyone is happy, even if the park is not meeting the needs of the majority. 



No comments